And even though we all know America has been feeling sick recently, I am confident of a recovery.
This kind of economic malaise is expected when greed runs rampant. Markets always take time to correct themselves. But everything has been made worse because we just aren't ready for the network economy.
The scary truth about the unemployment figures isn't that greedy corporations aren't hiring. It's that many of those jobs are gone -- forever. The network economy is real and it's here to stay. Just like all the folks who lost their jobs making slide rules and vacuum tubes, there are many industries on the chopping block.
But there are opportunities too. Instead of fighting it, we need to accept it, harness it and watch our businesses grow. When the winds of change blow, it's better to build windmills. If you can harness change and build it into your business, you will survive.
- If you can accept that change is coming faster and faster, you have a chance.
- If you work to eliminate complexity and build a resilient business, you will survive.
- If you know in your heart that the industrial economy is over, you have a good shot.
- If you can harness social technology tools to enable collaboration, you have a great shot.
- If you tap into the collective wisdom of your business, you will win.