No matter what kind of e-commerce site you are developing, there are just some things you should not do. Now, without further ado, I present the Top 10 Mistakes of Bad E-Commerce Sites.
1. Confusing check out process. Don't make it hard for me to give you money.
2. No search listings. Make sure your products can be scanned by the comparison websites.
3. TMI. Don't clutter your pages. Clean sites sell more.
4. Too needy, we just met. Let me create an account but don't require me to save my credit card info.
5. Play by the old rules. Pets.com spent a mint and failed. Don't overspend on marketing.
6. Believe in hype. The best SEO is all about content so start blogging as much as possible. Search engines love content.
7. Selling ads. Accept Ad Blindness and don't expect to make big money on ads.
8. Ignorance. Collect as much info as possible from site visitors.
9. No human touch. Always have an operator standing by to help people who get stuck. (This is very worthwhile if you're making high enough margins.)
10. Hubris. Solicit (bribe if necessary!) and then listen to customer comments. Don't let ego get in the way of profit.
Ignore these are your peril!