The perfect skunk works manager:
- is not an obsessive bean counter but understands the relevance of budgets.
- follows a laissez-faire management style.
- encourages freedom to persue odd ideas.
- encourages constant discussion and friendly argument.
- uses equal parts of positive and negative reinforcement to motivate.
- understands the needs of creative people and works to provide the needed resources to foster innovation.
- provides guidance instead of strict adherence to company policy.
- focuses on the overall business strategy not departmental tactics.
- knows when to break the rules.
- is willing to put his neck on the line to protect his workers.
Take your time and choose wisely. The person you are looking for may not fit the standard management mold that your company employs. True mavericks are hard to find, but are worth their weight in gold.